OPTION 3 REQUEST THE DRIVING SAFETY COURSE OPTION (YOU CAN APPLY BY MAIL FOR DSC)
Please go to www.tdlr.texas.gov for a list of Driver Safety Courses
You may require that one (1) moving violation charge be dismissed by taking a Drivers Safety Course (DSC). HOWEVER, YOU LOSE THAT RIGHT IF YOU FAIL TO PROVIDE WRITTEN NOTICE TO THE COURT ON OR BEFORE YOUR APPEARANCE DATE OF YOUR DESIRE TO DO SO. (If Eligible)
- Valid Texas Driver’s License Class “C” (no CDL)
- DSC not taken in the past 12 months for the dismissal of a traffic violation
- Personal Liability Insurance in your name or you listed as a driver
- Going less than 25 mph over the speed limit
IF YOU ARE ELIGIBLE, YOU MUST, ON OR BEFORE YOUR APPEARANCE DATE, SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING TO THE COURT:
- A plea of Guilty or No Contest (see form below)
- A Sworn Affidavit (see form below)
- Provide proof of liability insurance in your name or you as a listed driver on policy
- Pay proper fee of $144.00 (do not pay original court cost). If the violation was in a school zone add an additional $25.00 (Cashier’s Check or money order, or at paytexas.com with a debit/credit card) No personal checks, No phone payments.
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Copy of Driving record for the past 3 years (type 3(a)) from Driver Improvement Texas Department of Public Safety, P.O. Box 15999, Austin, Texas 78761-5999, or at txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/driverrecords.htm
YOU WILL NOT RECEIVE CONFIRMATION IN REFERENCE TO THIS REQUEST, UNLESS THE COURT FINDS YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE DSC OPTION. YOU MAY SEND THE FORM “RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED” BY THE U.S. POST OFFICE IF YOU WANT TO KNOW IF WE RECEIVED THE INFORMATION.
If you are eligible and submit the above to the Court on or before your appearance date, you will then have ninety (90) days from the appearance date to have the State Approved DSC into the court. The school that you attend does not submit the certificate to the Court. It is your responsibility to produce the certificate of completion to the Court. A fine of $200.00 will be charged if the course is not completed within the prescribed time limit.
I HEREBY ENTER A Plea of ( ) Guilty ( ) No Contest, waive my right to a jury trial and request a 90 day deferment to take a Drivers Safety Course approved by the State of Texas.
I swear that I have not had a Drivers Safety Course within the last 12 months for the dismissal of a traffic charge nor that I am taking a Drivers Safety Course for some other traffic charge and that I have not taken a Drivers Safety course that is not reflected on my driver record.
Print name ________________________________________________/______________/_____________________
Citation # DL#
Sworn and subscribed before me on this ____day of________________, 20____.
___________________________________________________NOTARY PUBLIC, STATE OF TEXAS